Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pudim Flan

This dessert is my mother's specialty.  So much so, that I was afraid to make it.  The thought of it frightened me, and I'm not sure why!  I called her approximately 49283634 times while I was making this (OK, so it was more like 5 times, but you get my point).  I put it in the oven, and said a prayer, because I was certain this was not going to come out right.  I could have put money on this collapsing.  Even today while I was at work, I kept thinking about coming home, flipping it over and it just falling into a pile of goo.  But lo and behold, it didn't.  AND IT TASTES AMAZING!  *does a dance*  Don't be scared like me.  Try it.  You'll family and friends will thank you for it :)  
First things first: Make sure you have the correct pan to make a flan in.  Most people use something like this. 

Pudim Flan

6 eggs
1 1/4 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar
2 cans (14oz) sweeten condensed milk
2 cups of while milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Take your 1 1/4 cup of sugar and put it in a small sauce pan on low heat.  Let this continue to slowly cook while you stir occasionally.  Please do not burn yourself!  This will be VERY HOT.
While the sugar is starting to heat up you can make your actual flan mixture.  
Place eggs and 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar in a mixer and beat on high.  Once the eggs are beaten well, add the rest of your ingredients and mix well.  You can just let this go on low until well mixed and then shut it off.
Once you sugar starts to melt and make the caramel, stay there and wait.  One minute too much and you'll burn it.  Continue to stir and help the sugar break down.  at this point,  take your flan pan and put it in the oven to heat it up a bit.  Once the sugar is completely melted take the flan pan out of the oven and pour your caramel in.  try to coat the entire bottom of the pan and sides if you can (sometimes you can't get the sides because it hardens so quickly, but that's ok!)  The pan being heated up just a bit helps you move the sugar around. Once you are done covering as much of the pan as possible, pour your batter in.  You'll hear lots of crackling from the caramel cooling.  
Get a water bath together to fit your flan pan in.  (I used a 9x13 pyrex dish with water about 2 inches deep) cover your pan with the lid that came with it (or if you didn't get one, that's ok too) Pop your pan in and put it in the oven for 1 hour.  (1 hour 10 minutes if you don't have a lid)
Your flan won't look ready.  I swore it wasn't done, and I, of course, called my mother who said it's done, it's going to jiggle that's normal.  I listened and I took it out, and it was perfect.
Let the flan cool a bit and then cover and pop in the fridge until completely cooled.
To flip, get a bowl with hot warm and put your flan pan in it to take the chill out.  Once the pan is warm to the touch, it's ready.  Take a pie plate and put it on top of the flan pan and FLIP!  You'll hear a PLOP and that's when you know it's done ;)
take off the flan pan, and ta-da!  perfection!  If you notice that you have a lot of caramel left in the bottom of you pan, you can put it on a low heat on the stove top to melt it and then pour it over the flan.




6 comments:

  1. The pan can be bought at your nearest Walmart or any supermarket with culinary pots and pans section

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can you buy the double boiler flan pot I have looked every where and can't find it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all over Brazil, but I can't find any in the USA. If anyone finds one, let me know. I want 1-2 of them as well.

      Delete
    2. I found it on Wayfair for around $35 w/ tax.

      Delete
  3. How long until the jiggle is gone?

    ReplyDelete