Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Cavacas

This is not something I grew up eating, but I had many friends who loved these.  When I decided to try out all these recipes, this was one I was dying to try.  I had heard so much about them, but had never tried them.  I have to say, these were easy, and were really delicious!

Cavacas (Portuguese Popover)

2 cups of flour 
1 cup of oil 
1/2 cup of whole milk 
8 eggs at room temp
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Sugar Glaze: 
2 cups of confectioner’s sugar 
zest of one lemon 
about 2 tablespoons of milk 


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease regular size muffin tins.  Make sure you grease them really well, any sticking ruins the entire popover. 
Using a mixer,  beat (on med.-high)  all ingredients for at least 20 minutes without stopping. Fill the muffin tins to about 1/2 to 3/4 full. Place on the middle rack. 
Bake for about 45-50 min.
Combine all of the glaze ingredients and stir until smooth. I tend to use slightly more than 2 tablespoons milk. While Cavacas are still warm, spoon the glaze over each one or just submerge each one in the glaze. Serve on the same day since they will dry even more for the following day. (Although I think I liked them even more on the second day!)



No comments:

Post a Comment